Summertime may mean barbecue and it may mean the beach, but it also means outdoor activities that we haven't engaged in for much of the year such as hiking, biking, volleyball, and tennis. If we w ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Spine Care - Tips for a Healthy Spine
Tips for a Healthy Spine
1) Sleeping - Never on your belly! Side is acceptable but on your back is the best. Use one pillow and don't prop your head up.
2) Pillows - Cervical (contour) pillows are the best to support your neck properly
3) Mattresses - Firm mattresses are better than soft - no pillow tops.
4) Sitting - Avoid sitting for more than 45 minutes. Get up frequently. Sit with your legs underneath your chair and not with your legs crossed.
5) Computers - Your screen should be eye level. If it's too low, you will hunch over too much
6) Lifting - Lift with your back straight and bend your knees.
7) Wallets - You should not sit with wallet in your back pocket. It can cause pelvic misalignment as well as pressure on the sciatic nerve.
8) Purses/Handbags - Avoid carrying them on one shoulder. Slinging them with the strap on the opposite should can help. The best is to go light and carry them in your hand alternating sides often.
9) Footware - Purchase good supportive footware with adequate arch support
10) Orthotics - Most people have faulty foot posture that will eventually cause back problems. If you have fallen arches you should consider getting orthotics. Ask one of the GRC doctors.